Friday, January 9, 2009

Music For The Soul

There are some things that never cease to amaze me: guide dogs are a good example of something I am destined to always be in complete awe of.

There are some things that not only amaze me but move me to such a degree that I momentarily embark on a private and deep self reflection. There are not many things that prompt this in me.

Without a doubt, it is music that brings me to this point more often than anything else. Whilst at my parents this evening my father was watching The West Wing, and from the other room I was drawn to the tv as a piece of music started to play. Both my mother and me headed straight to the tv silently to better hear this piece of music and stood, motionless. Moved.

As the show climaxes in a height of emotion over the President's kidnapped daughter, Sanvean by Lisa Gerrard starts to stream from the tv.

Find it and listen to it. Stand, sit...whatever you need to do. Absorb the music and experience such an amazingly powerful piece of music that truly does caress the soul.

Al


Posted with LifeCast


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much do we love the West Wing? Very, very much.

They do music and themes very well. Two cases in particular come to mind: the Bach cello suites as Josh reflects on being shot and Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah as CJ walks the streets of Manhattan shocked with grief.

Anonymous said...

And another one I just remembered -it's in the same episode where CJ wanders Manhattan, end of season 3.

Bartlet sits in the theatre watching the War of the Roses whilst the Patriotic Chorus is played on stage.

"Victorious in war shall be made glorious in peace."

Have I mentioned that I love this show?

Al said...

Thanks for the suggestion!