Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Double Standards

I met with a colleague (and a friend) today to catch up on each other's holidays. After filling her in on the 'Days of our lives' saga that became my holiday, I got the low down from her.

Mary has been blogged about before, a vivacious young woman who realised after seven years that her and her (now) ex were not on the same page. Slowly but surely she's got back on the horse - so to speak! In fact it appears she got on a couple of horses in a short period of time over the holidays. I was ever so please, as she was clearly happy to have done so and it was great to see her becoming more comfortable with putting herself out there. It seems she Is enjoying horses more than she realised!

However a comment quickly changed the focus of the conversation. It seems Mary was being very cautious about who she told as the stigma of a woman 'going riding' more than once every ten years was not one she wished to pursue.

How odd, I thought to myself. In gay male culture, you could go out to a club and pick up, take them home and 'hop on the horse'. You could then shower and head back and do it all again. And if you were to tell your male friends, you would get a smile which would say 'Well done, I wish I had the courage to go out and do that!'

In stark contrast here we have a woman who is anything but the cheap and vulgar slang terms she would surely receive were she to tell the wrong person. The double standards have gone nowhere so far as I can tell, but i'll turn straight before I submit to those.

Good on her I say, and if she wants to enter every horse race in the country what does it really matter so long as the horses don't already have a rider??

Al


Posted with LifeCast


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So long as she doesn't get hurt (in either sense of the word), it doesn't. She's an adult. Attitudes that judge such behaviour need to be updated.

Anonymous said...

it is a double standard, very much so. I wonder if it will ever change, because the mentality behind some people never seems to :( (and yay for Mary).