Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Double Standard

Talking with Deb today about potential blog subjects, I managed to remind myself of one topic that really gets to me: parents who get all the extra leave that normal people don't.

Just because you decide to pop out a baby, suddenly you get to come in late to work, work a four day week and get paid for five, or disappear at 4pm bcause kinder finished early? I don't think so...

Don't you think us people without babies would like to have Fridays off work? Or call in with a sick child and thus not come in at all?

Yet another double standard.

Al


Posted with LifeCast


3 comments:

Deb said...

Perhaps you could start a new business venture: "Babies for hire". This could work on two levels, if one of the babies is sick and it's mum can't take the day off work, then they could register it with "Babies for hire", and someone like you who wants a day at home can hire out the baby and tell work you have to stay at home to look after the sick child.

Al said...

Ah...maybe. But the only child I like is my nephew so I don't think I want to go acquiring more.

I'm not annoyed because I don't have children to spend the days off with. Quite the opposite, I'm annoyed that I don't get to take days off because I have decided to...say....take up cycling. It's a conscious choice I made to take it up, in the same way a child is, so why don't I get to come in late and leave early and call in sick because it's a nice day and I want to go for a ride?

Jayne said...

It's a business way of reminding mothers exactly why they shouldn't breed anymore - because you are no longer normal and your brain has turned to mush.
Cate Blanchett doesn't get that stuff so she keeps on procreating the little buggers.
And no one told her about the baby vomit permanently ingrained on her shoulder.