Monday, September 8, 2008

1.5 People

So I am officially over fat people. Luckily I have never been under one, now that I think about that horrifying thought.

I spent $230 on a ticket for a seat at Mardi gras back in March, only to get to my seat and find that I couldn't sit there because a rotund lesbian who would interpret a 'Long mac' as a massive truck, not a coffee, was taking up not only her seat, but at least half of mine too.

This is becoming a more frequent situation I seem to face on the train coming to work. Fat people, little seats and not enough room for my perky butt.

In the ten years between 1985-1995, obesity in youths aged 7-17 tripled. The implications of this concerning statistic is being felt now. These youths are adults who now frequent my train! As the fattest nation in the world this is surely only going to get worse. So as the people get fatter, we are trying to squeeze more and more people into each carriage in the hope that one day the train operator might actually do something about it. I wonder if, were we to remove these mountains of unused energy from the trains, would there be room enough for the rest of us aboard our daily commute?

Al

Posted with LifeCast

3 comments:

Deb said...

There's always enough room for me - I'm only little! I'm the annoying person that squeezes in under your armpit and wedges herself in any feesible gap. This does of course have it's downfalls...which leads me to wonder if we should blog about the need for a ruling on compulsory deoderant wearing and personal hygene standards on public transport....

Jayne said...

So I'm guessing you're not humming "I like big butts" on the Connex service, Al ? :P

Anonymous said...

I also vote for an i-pod and chewing gum free carriage.