Thursday, August 13, 2009

Today the world lost a good one

Some days you wonder how the world is working. How can there be good, how can there be hope, how can so much bad happen to so many people who do no harm to others. Unfortunately, today is one of those for me. 

Today I discovered in the most impersonal of fashions, that what was once a very close friend, has passed away. Not through disease, not through underhanded actions, not whilst causing any harm to anyone. Instead, in the prime of her life, she lost her life in a plane crash paying tribute to people like my grandfather – preparing to walk the Kokoda Trail. And as the realisation sets in that such a positive light in anyone’s life will no longer be, I start to reflect on the time we spent together with a new appreciation.

She was the girl I met on my first day at Uni. With the brightest smile in the room, she was always the one who was last to get the dirty joke. She started and finished everything with 100% effort and was always ready to try something new. She was the one who would never just sit and listen to us ramble on about dreams of travel, but instead put into action our ramblings, realising for a group of us a cruise around the Pacific Islands, a trip to the snow. No matter how big or small, she was always ready to take it and run with it.

She was the first one to dive down a ski run while the rest of contemplated it, regardless of having never done it before. As she disappeared into the fog we all held our breath, hoping she would be alive at the other end. 
One by one, we all followed her down…such was the impact she had.

She was the one girl I could race around the roundabouts of Brighton with a serious challenge on my hands. She was the most excited, and proud, to be getting her new car.

She is the girl you just don’t forget, unique in her enthusiasm for life, warm in her innocence and simplicity. Always eager to go beyond, always eager to please, she was destined to be a great mother some day.

I will miss her, and I know anyone who ever came in contact with her would say the same. It will forever be a regret that I wasn’t a great part of her life recently but I take comfort in knowing that she died performing a truly fitting duty as an Aussie, as an adventurer, as a person to admire. As Kel.

You will forever be miseed.

Rest in peace.

xx

No comments: